Do you sometimes throw food away? Do you feel pain in the chest when all the stale bread rolls, sausages, or ham land in a basket? See how to avoid that!
Here are our tips that will help you avoid wasting food:
- Shopping with a card in your hand. Planning is fundamental! Make a plan of meals and the quantity of ingredients you need to prepare them. Don’t buy more than you need, unless you wish to buy things with a long period of storage.
- You won’t like this advice, but sadly this method is efficient. Things with short expiration date need to be purchased very often – several times a week in smaller quantities: several slices of ham instead of whole package – one cucumber instead of a kilogram.
- Store fruits and vegetables in the fridge. We know how beautiful they are when we put them in the bowl or on the table. However, you are going to get a swarm of fruit flies very quickly! Bananas are the exception!
- Pay attention to expiration dates. Check the fridge on daily basis and take a look at lids!
- Keep cheese in tightly closed containers (obviously in the fridge).
- Freezing is very, very helpful. You can successfully freeze vegetables: auliflower, peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, and meat. Pack everything in plastic bags, do not forget about sticking cards with expiration data!
- You can freeze bread – preferably sliced bread. Give it some time after taking it out of the fridge.
- Store potatoes in a dark bag. You don’t need a fridge here.
- Learn recipes for casseroles and other single-pot dishes that you can prepare from the leftovers. They are really tasty!